.

.

January 21, 2009

C-section X 3

On Monday I finished up my OB-Gyn rotation.  Admittedly I was a little disappointed that I had not been to many deliveries and hadn't been to ANY c-sections.  I did a lot of OB care in the office but just hadn't had many opportunities to get to the deliveries.  I looked on the OR schedule that Monday just to see if anything interesting was coming up during the week.  Lo and behold, one of the docs had a c-section scheduled for Tuesday morning....and it was to deliver TRIPLETS!!! 

I had already planned on leaving Tuesday morning to drive to Phily for end of rotation exams, but I figured that if the doc would allow me to come to the delivery, I would be able to get on the road a little late.  

A little to my surprise, he said "yes" and almost jumped at the opportunity to have me along (of course not forgetting to tease me about a little brown nosing since technically my rotation would already be over).  

As I tried to get ready for my trip to Phily on Monday night, the incoming snow storm loomed.  I had decided that even if it snowed like crazy I was still going in for the c-section.  When would I get this opportunity again....maybe never. 

Tuesday morning came, I still hadn't packed for my trip, and there was about 4 inches of snow on the ground (enough to literally put NC in a state of emergency).  I dodged crazy drivers the whole way in to the hospital at 7:30 only to find out, once I'd arrived, that we'd been pushed back until 10.  At that point I climbed back into the car, went home to pack and then hurried back to the hospital.  

The surgery was probably the bloodiest goriest thing I have ever witnessed.  It was bloodier than any trauma I had in the ER or as an EMT.  But in the end, there were these 3 perfect babies pulled out one by one.  Each little one looked up at us as it entered the world with confusion and anticipation.  Each little one started screaming loud and clear just as it was supposed to.  They were all 3 perfect.  

In the end, mom wanted her tubes tied (this was #5, 6, & 7 for her).  And the doc let me do the honors. All in all it was an incredible experience.  Then I had to leave and drive to Philly...


1 comment:

Suz said...

wow, how amazing! to be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing a c-section (as long as it is not my own baby...and that as enough blood as it is) sounds like you are learning a lot and enjoying it. good luck with the end of your rotations :)
btw, i just scanned a few of your older blog posts (since i just realized you had it--thanks for the comment) and i wanted to tell you that you look gorgeous in so many pics!! how do you do that?? we are almost 30! haha!! take care and i look forward to hearing more of your "journal"